I’ve been struggling off and on with back and neck pain, and am finally beginning to feel relief. My range of motion and overall pain levels are so much butter. Today I am here to share what has worked for me. Of course I would highly recommend checking in with your doctor before deciding to do anything on your own. I hope some of my suggestions help someone else out going through something similar!
5 Ways to Relieve Back/Neck Pain
- Weekly Deep Tissue Massage: For the past 3 weeks, I’ve gone to a medical massage therapist for a deep tissue massage. It has helped get out all of the knots and tension so much. The massage itself can be painful and intense, but I always feel so much better after; especially the following day. They are a bit pricy, so shop around. Remember, the once a week is only until you’re feeling better. After that, you may only need to go as necessary.
- Daily Stretching: During my workday, I am taking 5-10 minute breaks from my chair about once an hour or once every 90 minutes. I do a lap around my building and some quick neck and back stretches. Once I get home, I do a longer full body stretching routine. There are some great YouTube videos if you search yoga for back pain!
- Heat after a long Day: On days when I was feeling extra sore and tense, I put a heating pad on my back and neck area after work. I did about 15 minutes of heat and it made a huge difference in pain management. Also, a warm shower helped to ease aching muscles if I didn’t want to do the heating pad.
- Daily Self-Massage: I did a little research and learned some self-massage techniques to hold me over until my massage appointment. I did about 10 minutes of this after work and it really helped me to ease off the tension before bed.
- Using a backpack: Rather than carry multiple bags and a heavy purse, I put everything I need in to a backpack. The weight being evenly distributed on my shoulders has made a big difference. Only downside? People already think I look 12 years old and now I have a backpack on the way to work….oh well!
I hope these little pointers help anyone out there struggling with tension and back pain. I can say from experience that the deep tissue massage has been a real life saver!
Favorite back pain remedy? Purse or backpack? Ever done deep tissue massage?
Tell me in the comments below!