Growing up takes time and there are lots of lessons learned along the way. Some you learn by listening to advice, while other things you learn the hard way. Today I thought I’d share some things I’ve come to realize as I grow older. I’d love to hear your own thoughts in the comment section below!
- My Parents are Awesome: When I look back at my childhood and see how many sacrifices my parents made for me I am amazed. They worked so so hard so that my sisters and I could have a safe, healthy, and happy childhood and adolescence. I am forever grateful for all that they did for us. I see them more as my friends now and I love spending time with them. They’re always there if I need them. Shout out to my parents if you’re reading! Love you!
- I’ll Never “Feel” Like an Adult: I used to think that when I graduated college and got a job that I would feel totally confident and ready to conquer the “real world”. Bahahahaha…no! Of course I have changed a lot in many ways but in many ways I’m still the same person I’ve always been!
- Everyone’s Just Trying to Figure it Out: Whenever I looked at adults as a young kid, I used to think they all had perfect jobs, 2 kids, all the money they needed, and everything was fine and dandy. But really, no matter the age, we’re all just figuring it out. Everyone has different challenges, but no one has it all figured out!
- My Fun will be Mostly Scheduled: Gone are the days of spontaneous dinners with friends after school or hanging out together on a weeknight. If I want to hang out with my friends, I have to go through my calendar and there’s and schedule a lunch 2 months in advance. It’s hard but not impossible to have fun! Also, most weeknights all I want to do is eat dinner and be at home…lets be honest!
- Time will Speed up: When I was in high school and college, time seemed to go as slow as molasses (except during summer break)! It seems as though that as soon as I got married time began to zoom away from me. Somehow I’ve been married for 3 1/2 years and my niece is almost 2…what is happening?!
- People You Love will Scatter Often: After school, many people move for jobs, move for a change, move with spouses, etc. I have said goodbye to many people that I love and have felt the sad winds of change. People you love will not be so close to you anymore and that does not really ever get any easier. Change and sometimes miles come between your loved ones when you grow up.
“Adulting” has definitely had it’s challenges but I have a wonderful support system. I feel lucky to be learning navigating the world with my best friend alongside me for the ride. I am excited to see where life will take us on this crazy journey. Remember, you’re probably doing much better than you think!
Do you relate to these realizations? What have you learned?
Tell me in the comments below!
You May Also Like: