Happy Foodie Friday to you! This delicious vegetarian recipe can be customized and is filling and delicious! I promise that you won’t miss the meat!
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 block of firm tofu (I bought the cubed kind)
To Prepare the Tofu:
- Drain water and pat dry with paper towel. Allow to sit in strainer for 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a medium bowl and add tofu. Stir to combine.
- Close tightly and marinade for at least 30 minutes. I marinated mine for 3 hours because I had the time.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of canola or sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add tofu in a single layer and cook for 5-8 minutes per side until it begins to brown, remove from heat.
For the Filling:
- 1/2 package of mushrooms
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup of green beans
- 1 cup cooked rice or Quinoa (mine was leftover from a previous dinner)
To Prepare Filling:
- Chop vegetables and mince 1 clove of garlic
- Saute mushrooms and onions 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent and mushrooms begin to brown
- Add spinach and green beans and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add cooked rice and tofu stirring to combine. Cook 1-3 minutes until heated through
- Spoon mixture on to romaine lettuce and enjoy as a lettuce wrap!
I dipped mine in a bit more Hoisin sauce on the side. The mixture makes about 8 lettuce wraps so I’d serve it for about 4 people. Happy wrapping!
What’s your favorite food to wrap in lettuce?
Tell me in the Comments below!