I don’t typically eat tons of salad over the winter months. It’s probably a combination of the lack of affordable produce, cold weather, and my desire for high carb/warming dishes that does it for me. However, I recently found myself in desperate need of a delicious salad. I had some basic produce on hand, some canned beans, and a big citrus craving, which led this recipe to be born. My friends, I give you this Kale Salad with Orange Vinaigrette. It’s easy to throw together, looks beautiful, and is gluten free and vegan! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Kale Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 Package Baby Kale/Baby Spinach combination
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 small Avocado (God speed getting a good one…I know they are hit and miss right now!)
- 1 Can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-5 Small Tomatoes or 1-2 large tomatoes
- 1 medium Cucumber
Orange Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/2 Naval orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice + Juice from 1/2 fresh orange
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Putting it Together:
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl
- Zest the orange half in to a small mason jar & juice the half in to the same jar
- Place the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar and shake to combine
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat
- Enjoy as a side or as an entree! I enjoyed mine with some lime tortilla chips!
I hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend! Saturday, I will be celebrating my oldest sister’s birthday and then a relaxing day on Sunday. Until Monday, happy zesting!
Favorite citrus fruit? Go-to Salad dressing?
Tell me in the comments below!