Happy Friday! Growing up, one of my favorite dinners was spaghetti and meatballs. There’s something so familiar and homey about a big bowl of pasta and meatballs. Today I eat a mostly plant-based diet so I wanted to experiment with meatballs. These Pea and Lentil Balls are vegan, gluten free, and still packed with flavor and protein. I hope you’ll give them a whirl on your next spaghetti night!
Pea and Lentil Balls (V+GF)
- 1 can lentils drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups of peas, I used canned
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Basil
- 1/4 Teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and make flax egg. Allow mixture to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Place lentils and peas in a food processor. Pulse until slightly combined. Add flax egg and spices and pulse until combined.
- Roll in to balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet. My mixture made 16 in total and I made them quite large.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until browned.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and sauce. I did not have red sauce left so I tossed my pasta in olive oil, garlic, pepper, and basil.
Happy mother’s day to all of my mama’s out there. I hope you all enjoy your weekend! Until Monday, happy rolling!
Favorite childhood dinner? Favorite type of pasta?
Tell me in the comments below!