Happy Friday! I am looking forward to a hopefully pretty restful weekend. I’m sure I’ll be going through my things and packing for our move, but at least I will be home! Most vegan bacon alternatives call for an ingredient called liquid smoke. After doing some more reading up on it, I didn’t feel comfortable eating it while pregnant. So, today’s Tofu Bacon is a great alternative for those who do not want to use liquid smoke or do not wish to buy it! Hope you’ll try it out meat eater or not!
Tofu Bacon (V+GF)
- 1 Block extra firm tofu cut thinly
- 1/4 cup Tamari
- 1/3 cup Smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Drain tofu and press with paper towel to dry as much as possible.
- Cut as thinly as you can. The thinner you cut the tofu the quicker they will brown.
- Place tofu in a large bowl and prepare marinade.
- Whisk together all remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and pour over tofu. Move slices around to be sure all tofu is fully coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. You could do it longer if you prep ahead!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat. Cook tofu in single layer in a frying pan. Cook until browned and crispy, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- If you like extra crispy bacon, finish tofu under a broiler for 10 minutes after pan frying.
- I served mine on toasted gluten free bread with vegan mayo, lettuce, and tomato for a vegan and gluten free BLT!
I hope that you have a lovely weekend whether it be relaxing, busy, or a mixture! Until Monday, happy tofu frying!
Ever tried liquid smoke? Favorite sandwich?
Tell me in the comments below!