The holidays are definitely a time that I so look forward to each year. There’s so many fun events and parties and things to look forward to throughout November and December. Many of the events revolve around family and great food. This can be tough when you have a food allergy and/or intolerance. Today I’m sharing 5 tips on navigating the holidays with an allergy or intolerance. I hope this helps to ease some stress and anxiety that you may experience this holiday season!
5 Tips to Navigate the Holidays with a Food Intolerance
- Bring a few options: Offer to bring a main dish or a side (or both!) and make them both safe for you to eat. That way, you know that there’s something you can enjoy.
- Tell the host in advance: Talk to the host in advance about your dietary needs. Ask if there will be any options for you or if you could help plan out the menu. If it’s family or friends, they’ll most likely be pretty willing so that you can also enjoy the party!
- Encourage Food Labels: If the party’s buffet style, suggest signs at each dish saying what the dish is. This makes for easy selection when you can see what each dish is.
- Eat before the party: If you don’t know the host very well or don’t feel comfortable bringing food or talking to them in advance, eat something before you go. That way, you can still enjoy some drinks and social time without being starved.
- Focus on the social aspects: It can be easy to feel sad when you look at all of the things you used to eat that you can no longer eat. It’s okay to feel sad, but remember that the holidays are also about family and fun. Enjoy the memories and moments you are creating.
December 2015 with my Lily-bear <3
Tips for navigating the holidays with food intolerance/allergies?
Tell me in the comments below!