I know so many people make New Year’s Resolutions to work out more, eat healthier, and improve their overall health. While these are all amazing goals to have at any time of the year, they can be a challenge to keep up with. Today I thought I would share some of my favorite tips for a healthy lifestyle.
- Cooking & Eating:
- Plan your meals for the week! This takes a little bit of time and effort but it will keep your eating on track and will also save you money. I tend to plan dinners, have leftovers for lunches and pick one or two options for the week’s breakfasts. If you do want to buy lunch or dinner one of the days, put that in your plan too! I wrote a post on my meal prep methods a while ago which you can read HERE!
- Focus on ingredients! If you’re new to eating healthy, your first thought may be to always buy the lowest calorie food option. Sometimes those low fat low calorie foods have a lot of added junk to them. If you’re totally overwhelmed, look at the ingredient list. If it’s a short list with ingredients that you would expect and can actually pronounce, its probably pretty safe!
- Allow yourself a splurge/treat: I am of the mindset that if you should allow a splurge every once in a while. I usually enjoy some chocolate on a daily basis or have half a muffin with breakfast every once in a while. It keeps my sweet tooth cravings to a minimum and doesn’t make me feel deprived. More of my thoughts on balancing splurges with healthy eating: Here!
- Exercise and Fitness:
- Find what you love: Try different workouts until you find one that you enjoy. I wouldn’t have known how much I love strength training if one day I didn’t just decide to give it a whirl. I never thought I would enjoy lifting weights but its one of my favorite things to do!
- Be mindful of your daily routines: Always take the elevator? Take the stairs! Swap your sandwich for a salad once or twice a week. Get up once an hour from your desk and stretch, and make sure you’re practicing good posture! (I have a post-it note at my desk that says SIT UP!) Little changes can make a difference.
- Pre-plan your week’s workouts: Whether this means jotting down goals at the gym, or making a playlist of at-home workouts is up to you. I work out using Fitness Blender which are a husband and wife duo who put out free high-quality workout videos on a weekly basis. Check out their Youtube channel: Fitness Blender Channel Link
- Overall well-being:
- Listen to your body: Give yourself a rest day if you’ve been training hard and feel too sore to keep good form. Stressed out? Make some herbal tea and light a candle! Sometimes I like to listen to ocean waves or calming music too.
- Stretch: Whenever I’m feeling sore, stressed, or need some time to myself I like to do a nice light and relaxing stretching routine. This one is my current favorite: Stretching video (Thanks, Fitness Blender!)
- Unplug: I too am guilty of using my phone too much. I scroll through social media for no reason when I could be reading more or even just going to bed! I’m trying to be more mindful of not picking it up and using it for no reason every other minute. For me, this means putting it on do not disturb and leaving it in the other room!
I hope these little tips help you to stay on track and help to meet some of your new year’s resolutions! If anyone is wondering, I am not getting paid by Fitness Blender…I just love their workouts! 🙂
How do you stay on track?
Let me know in the comments below!