- Just Wait a few years… When someone who has been married longer than you has to tell you that it’s all down hill from here. That in a few years you will be sick and tired of each other, etc. Please stop, no one needs that negativity.
- When are you having kids? Just stop. You don’t know what a person has been through, what they want, what they don’t want. It might even be a point of tension between a couple. Don’t bring it up unless they want to talk about it. Even then, tread lightly. Also, please do not tell me “my clock is ticking” I’m not an alarm clock and I’m well aware of my “clock”.
- Just wait until you have kids… There’s no need to tell a young couple that their lives will change when they have kids. It is not someone else’s place to tell you what will happen to your personal relationship with your spouse if/when kids are added in the mix. All that does is create agitation and anxiety! People grow and change through life’s stages, this doesn’t mean everything will be terrible.
- Don’t You miss your freedom? I truly believe that if you feel getting married is losing your freedom, perhaps you haven’t met the right person yet. I’ve never felt burdened by being married. Sure, you think of someone else in your plans but when you love that person, thinking of them is natural in your decisions.
- Why’d you get married so young…do you have kids? These questions are often both asked of me at the same time. Oh, you got married straight out of college, this means you must have an “oopsie baby”. To be honest, if it were financially possible, I would have married Daniel in college but we didn’t have the means at that time!
Young marrieds, what else am I missing? Please chime in below! And everyone else, it’s okay if you’re guilty of any of these. Things happen and we don’t always think before we speak. I am guilty of saying stupid things many times; just think before you speak to a young married couple, especially if you are older and more seasoned in your marriage.
Marrieds, What are you tired of hearing people ask? Unmarrieds, are you tired of answering any questions?
Tell me in the comments below!
Thanks to Amanda for letting me think out loud!