Over the year, I’ve had my share of stomach/digestive issues. Gluten, dairy, and a host of other foods don’t agree with me and it has taken many years of food journals, tests, and tweaking of my diet to see what works. Today I’m doing some Thinking Out Loud and sharing a few things that have helped me. I hope this helps anyone out there suffering from bloating, stomach aches and pains, and bathroom troubles!
Tips For Better Digestion
- Drink Water: I never used to drink enough water. Once I started making it a habit, I found a huge difference in my stomach issues. I also found I snacked less and had more energy throughout the day. I bought a Nalgene bottle and I keep it with me while I’m at work.
- Move Your Body: I saw a huge difference in my overall digestion when I began exercising on a regular basis. I highly recommend yoga when you’re feeling bloated or having any kind of digestive issues. A good workout can be great medicine for an upset stomach, being unable to go to the bathroom, or even nausea and fatigue.
- Eat Fermented Foods: I know this one might be hard for picky eaters or unadventurous eaters to get behind, but it really is great for digestion! My favorite go-to’s are Kimchi, Kombucha, and Miso! You don’t need to eat a lot to feel a difference, but incorporating a little each day will really aid in digestion!
- Eat all the Veggies: Whenever I make vegetables the star of the plate, my stomach is happy. I don’t get over full, I don’t get bloated, and I feel satisfied. Plant-based eating has really improved my energy, my bloating, and overall digestive health. Also, incorporating more fruit in my diet has been a huge help!
- Keep a Food Journal: If you’re really experiencing a host of issues, keep a food and symptoms journal for a few weeks. Write down what you eat and what symptoms you experience. That way, you can look back and see if any foods are triggering your symptoms. As always, you should ask your Dr. for advice before switching your lifestyle!
I hope these little tips help you! I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below! Have a wonderful Thursday, friends!
Fermented foods fan? Whats your #1 digestive health tip? Do you drink enough water?
Tell me in the comments below!