Cheese…so many people ask me how I can live without cheese/dairy. Why can’t I just “take a small amount” of cheese? What would happen if I ate a tiny bit of it? Well, I’ve come to the conclusion that dairy is no good for my body. It’s terrible for my skin, it makes me feel bloated, crampy, and terrible all around. I can honestly say that I don’t really miss cheese too much but over the years, I have found some great non-dairy cheese alternatives that I sometimes enjoy.
Before beginning, I’d like to say that for the most part, I just avoid cheese and cheese substitutes all together. I think that many of the cheese substitutes are not really the healthiest options out there and I’d rather sub avocado or something a bit healthier if I can. That being said, sometimes a gal just
needs wants some “cheese”! Today I’ll be sharing 4 non-dairy cheese options with you for those moments when you JUST NEED SOME CHEESE RIGHT NOW…and don’t want to have dairy!
Cheese #1: Treeline Treenut Cheese Herb & Garlic
- Taste: AMAZING! This cheese is soft and spreadable and would be perfect for a party on a cheese and crackers tray.
- Ingredients: Really simple! There were zero questionable ingredients!
- Texture: Perfect! It’s really easy to dip and/or spread and the cheese keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks! Although, I doubt it will last that long in my fridge!
- Overall: 10/10 I was super impressed with this cheese & had I not known, I would have thought it was a fancy brie cheese!
Cheese #2: The Original Almond Cheddar Style Block
- Taste: Very similar taste to Velveeta style cheese which I grew up eating. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Ingredients: Ingredient list far too long for everyday eating but nothing too scary added.
- Texture: A bit too mushy and soft, good for slicing for grilled cheese though!
- Overall: 6.5/10 I was not super impressed overall with this cheese. I think it will make for some yummy grilled cheese sandwiches, but not sure I’d buy it to eat plain with crackers.
Cheese #3: The Original Almond Cheddar Shreds
- Taste: Same flavor as the block cheese. When melted, the taste was pretty bland.
- Ingredients: Same as the block, a lot of ingredients and I would not want to be eating it every day. Good for a cheese splurge though!
- Texture: Texture when you touch it is almost stretchy. I made a mini quesadilla on a corn tortilla and it melted very well.
- Overall: 7/10 I enjoyed the shreds better than the block and would consider using this on a pasta dish or tacos.
Cheese #4: Chao Slices Tomato Cayenne with Spicy Peppers
- Taste: Very delicious! The spicy flavors from the pepper along with the tomato cayenne made for a really tasty combo!
- Ingredients: Pretty good! Nothing questionable like the almond cheeses!
- Texture: Slightly harder than traditional cheese slices, very slightly rubbery consistency. This cheese does not seem to melt very well but is great on crackers!
- Overall: 9/10 Minus the lack of melting, the taste really is good on this kind!
In the end, I’d highly recommend cheese #1 & cheese #4! I hope you found this intriguing, interesting, and/or helpful! I’d love to hear of any non-dairy cheeses you enjoy so I can give them a try! I’ve also tried a lot of the Go Veggie products and Daiya products with some luck. Big thanks to Amanda for letting me think out loud today!
Favorite Vegan Cheese? Would you ever eat non-dairy cheese? What’s one food you think you could not live without?
Tell me in the comments below!
You May Also Enjoy: